This CfP forwarded on behalf of Bertrand Meyer:
The 2017 LASER summer school (https://www.laser-foundation.org/
>) will be devoted to Software for Robotics. It
takes place from 9 to 17 September in the exceptional setting of the Hotel del Golfo in
Procchio, Elba Island, Italy.
Robotics is progressing at an amazing pace, bringing improvements to almost areas of human
activity. Today’s robotics systems rely ever more fundamentally on complex software,
raising difficult issues. The LASER 2017 summer school both covers the current state of
robotics software technology and open problems. The lecturers are top international
experts with both theoretical contributions and major practical achievements in developing
The LASER school is intended for professionals from the industry (engineers and managers)
as well as university researchers, including PhD students. Participants learn about the
most important software technology advances from the pioneers in the field. The school’s
focus is applied, although theory is welcome to establish solid foundations. The format of
the school favors extensive interaction between participants and speakers.
We have lined up an impressive roster of speakers from the leading edge of both industry
• Rodolphe Gélin, Aldebaran Robotics
• Ashish Kapoor, Microsoft Research
• Davide Brugali, University of Bergamo, on Managing software variability in robotic
• Nenad Medvidovic, University of Southern California, on Software Architectures of
• Bertrand Meyer, Politecnico di Milano & Innopolis University, on Concurrent
Object-Oriented Robotics Software
• Issa Nesnas, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, on Experiences from robotic software
development for research and planetary flight robots
• Hiroshi (“Gitchang”) Okuno, Waseda University & Kyoto University, on Open-Sourced
Robot Audition Software HARK: Capabilities and Applications
The school takes place at the magnificent Hotel del Golfo (http://www.hoteldelgolfo.it/
>) in the Gulf of Procchio, Elba. Along with an
intensive scientific program, participants will have time to enjoy the countless natural
and cultural riches of this wonderful, history-laden jewel of the Mediterranean.
The deadline for benefitting from early registration fees is April 30th.
For more information about the school, the speakers and registration see the LASER site at