(If you know anyone who may be interested in this job offer, feel free to distribute. Application deadline 14 November.)
An academic position in Computer science (1FTE)
Vacancy Reference : 33621 / EPL 074 / 2023 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure-track or tenured full-time position in Computer science
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. Within the Science and Technology Sector, the position is attached to the Louvain School of Engineering and to the Institute for Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique modern living environment, conveniently located at the heart of Europe. The Charleroi site offers a quality environment in higher education, at the heart of a region in full economic development, centred on new technologies.
The successful candidate will be involved in the teaching of the computer science degrees at Louvain-la-Neuve, in particular the Bachelor of Computer Science, the Master in Computer Science Engineering and the Master in Computer Science, as well as in the teaching of the new Bachelor degree in Computer Science at the site of Charleroi. Bachelor level courses are taught mainly in French, master level courses exclusively in English.
To facilitate his or her integration within the existing team, the successful candidate will develop his or her research activities in the main research domains in computer science at the institute, such as:
• Software Engineering and Programming Systems
• Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
• Informatics Applied to the Medical Field or to Life Sciences
Nevertheless, this list should not be considered exhaustive; the position remains open to candidates with strong skills in other areas of computer science as well, to broaden the skills of the IT pole and the institute to these other areas.
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and take on responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Required Qualifications : the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Sciences or engineering, orientation computer science or any comparable discipline;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and pluridisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, the applicant will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
Knowledge of the French language, spoken and written, is highly desirable, given the candidate’s involvement in teaching of our bachelor’s degrees in computer science.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.<https://jobs.uclouvain.be/PersonnelAcademique/go/UCLouvain-Apply-for-an-aca…>
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.
Application deadline: Monday, November 14th at noon (UTC+1 Time Zone)
Starting date: September 1st 2023
Localization: Science and Technology Sector
Louvain School of Engineering (EPL) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/<https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/%5b%5bsiglefaculte>EPL)
Institute for Information and Communication Technologies, Electronics and Applied Mathematics (ICTM) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/<https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/%5b%5binstitutpubli>ICTM)
Further information :
Prof. Alain Jonas, Dean EPL – doyen-epl(a)uclouvain.be<mailto:email@example.com>
Prof. Michel Verleysen, President ICTM – president-ictm(a)uclouvain.be<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
To apply :
Use the Apply Now button on the bottom of this page: https://jobs.uclouvain.be/PersonnelAcademique/job/An-academic-position-in-C…