The 1st International Workshop on Software Health @ ICSE 2018
May 27, 2018
Factors impacting software health can vary depending on the viewpoint of the involved stakeholders: process factors, technical factors concerning the source code and related software artefacts, social factors concerning the communities of software contributors and users, and business factors concerning commercial aspects of the software product. Because of this variety, there is no clear definition of what constitutes software health, since it encompasses many different development and evolution attributes, including success, longevity, growth, resilience, survival, diversity, sustainability, etc.
As can be witnessed by recent initiatives such as the Linux Foundation’s CHAOSS project on community health analytics, the research community and the industry have realized the need for a socio-technical perspective concerning software health. Such a perspective is challenging, due to the volatile storage of information regarding social relations, conflicts and interactions. There is a need to find better methods, techniques and tools to monitor software health, as well as to predict and take corrective measures when health implications arise. Finally, a project's health should also consider the health of the ecosystem in which the project participates to obtain a holistic view of software health. Thus, a better understanding is needed of how the health metrics, indicators and their operationalization can be aggregated from project-level to ecosystem level.
CALL FOR PAPERS
SoHeal aims to enable and promote collaboration between academia and industry, unifying the views on software health of researchers and practitioners. The workshop's goals are to: (1) raise awareness of practitioners' problems with software health; (2) familiarize practitioners with the progress made by academia; and (3) connect the two communities to further advance the body of knowledge and state of the practice on software health.
TOPICS of INTEREST (non-exclusive)
- social, technical and business aspects of software health
- software health at the individual, team or community level
- software health at the software project or ecosystem level
- open source vs. industrial experiences with software health
- software health definition and modelling
- software health measurement and assessment
- qualitative or quantitative studies about software health
- prediction or recommendation models to predict health issues or improve health
- software health tools and dashboards (e.g. for analytics and visualization)
TYPES OF SUBMISSIONS
We invite two types of contributions: full position papers of 6 to 8 pages (including figures, tables and references), or extended abstracts of 1 to 2 pages reporting on practitioner's or industrial experience. Submissions must follow the ACM formatting instructions and should be submitted using the EasyChair link: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=soheal2018
Abstract submission: January 29, 2018
Paper submission: February 5, 2018
Notification: March 5, 2018
Camera Ready: March 15, 2018
Workshop: Sunday, May 27, 2018
- Bram Adams, Polytechnique Montreal, Canada <bram.adams(a)polymtl.ca>
- Eleni Constantinou, University of Mons, Belgium <eleni.constantinou(a)umons.ac.be>
- Tom Mens, University of Mons, Belgium <tom.mens(a)umons.ac.be>
- Gregorio Robles, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Spain <grex(a)gsyc.urjc.es>
- Christian Bird, Microsoft Research, USA
- Kelly Blincoe, University of Auckland, New Zealand
- Jan Bosch, Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden
- Marcelo Cataldo, Uber Advanced Technologies Group
- Daniel German, University of Victoria, Canada
- Matt Germonprez, University of Nebraska Omaha, USA
- Sean Goggins, University of Missouri, USA
- Jesus Gonzalez-Barahona, Bitergia, Spain
- Slinger Jansen, University of Utrecht, Netherlands
- Raula Gaikovina Kula, Osaka University, Japan
- Josianne Marsan, Laval University, Canada
- Wolfgang Mauerer, Siemens/OTH Regensburg, Germany
- Alexander Serebrenik, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands
- Leif Singer, Automattic, Canada
- Margaret-Anne Storey, University of Victoria, Canada
- Damian A. Tamburri, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Bogdan Vasilescu, Carnegie Mellon University, USA
- Robert Visteur, University of Mons, Belgium
- Stefano Zacchiroli, University of Paris-Diderot, France
Job offer : 1 Post-Doc position within the "Intelligent Modernisation Assistance for Legacy Software (INTiMALS)" project
at Université catholique de Louvain (UCL, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium),
in collaboration with Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB, Brussels, Belgium) and Raincode Labs (Brussels, Belgium)
Start date: January 1, 2018
Duration: 3 years
The INTiMALS project is a collaboration between an industrial partner specialised in modernising legacy software systems (Raincode Labs, https://www.raincodelabs.com) and two universities (the Université catholique de Louvain, UCL and the Vrije Universiteit Brussel, VUB). It aims to investigate, apply and integrate data mining techniques in a prototype of an intelligent software modernisation assistant tool for Raincode’s developers. Researchers at UCL and VUB will contribute their expertise in software development technology, language engineering and source code analysis. UCL will contribute its expertise in the development and use of data mining algorithms.
The project aims to develop novel pattern mining algorithms that can be applied on repositories of legacy software, and to deploy these algorithms in an intelligent modernisation assistant. The assistant continuously mines for previously unknown patterns in the current state and structure of the system’s source code (programming idioms, coding conventions, library usage protocols) and in changes made to this code (systematic edits, repetitive changes), and provides recommendations based on these patterns. The aim is to represent the data in the form of a graph; as a result, the use and development of pattern and graph mining techniques will be a core component of the project.
Ideally, we are looking for a candidate with following qualifications:
- You have expertise in the development of data mining algorithms.
- You have an interest in the development and use of pattern or graph mining algorithms.
- You have an interest in analysing source code and version repositories.
- You have an interest in working in collaboration with industry.
- You have some publications in conferences or journals in either data mining, software engineering or both.
- You are in possession of a PhD in computer science.
- You have good academic writing and presentation skills.
- You have good knowledge of the English language.
- (being able to understand some French is handy but NOT an explicit requirement)
- You have the ability to work both individually and as part of a team.
The post-doc position is a full-time equivalent position and the salary is based on official salary scales for post-docs in Belgium, taking into account the number of years of prior experience you have as a post-doc. The project is for three years.
How to apply?
Applications should be made in a PDF file and should contain the following:
1) A short cover letter that describes the candidate's qualifications and motivations for applying to this specific position and for this particular project.
2) A curriculum vitae that includes a list of publications.
3) Two sample publications, preferably related to the topic of the position.
4) A transcript of grades prior to the PhD and a copy of the PhD certificate.
5) If possible a recommendation letter of a known referent.
6) Any other information that may convince us to select you.
Applications should be made by sending us a mail with “INTiMALS application : <your name>” in the subject field. This mail should be sent to BOTH of the following email addresses:
Kim Mens, kim.mens(a)uclouvain.be<mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
Siegfried Nijssen, siegfried.nijssen(a)uclouvain.be<mailto:email@example.com>
For more information, don’t hesitate to send us a mail.
P.S. Candidates not retained for this position may want to apply to an equivalent position at the partner university. (But will undergo an independent evaluation process there.)
Here is an announcement for a new opening for a full-time tenure track position in our department in the field of big data analytics. We are looking for excellent candidates in this research field.
Best regards, Tom Mens.
Tenure-Track Faculty Position in Big Data Analytics at the Computer Science Department of the University of Mons
The University of Mons announces the opening of a full-time tenure-track faculty position at the assistant professor level. This position has a start date of September 1, 2018. In a first stage, the person will be appointed for a period of three years, which can be extended with two extra years. The definitive appointment will be decided during or at the end of this period. The appointed person will take the lead of a new research group in the Department of Informatics in the Faculty of Sciences.
Qualified candidates must have a doctorate in disciplines related to computer science or computer engineering, and should have an outstanding research record in the field of Big Data Analytics. The selected person will develop research and teaching activities in this domain, will collaborate with existing research groups of the Department of Informatics, and will be active in fundraising for industrial and governmental projects.
The teaching duties include the following:
• teaching activities in big data analytics (30 hours of lectures + 15 hours of practical work) at the Bachelor level in Computer Science;
• teaching activities in big data analytics (30 hours of lectures + 30 hours of practical work) at the Master level in Computer Science;
• teaching activities in seminars in Computer Science (30 hours of seminars) at the Bachelor and Master levels in Computer Science.
Some of these teaching activities are also part of the curriculum in Mathematics, both at the Bachelor and Master level, and can be taken by students in other disciplines. Additional teaching duties will be assigned so that the appointed person will eventually have the same teaching load as other faculty members in the Department of Informatics. The appointed person will also be active in teaching activities at the campus of the University of Mons in the city of Charleroi, in the evening Master program in Computer Science. The appointed person should be capable to teach in the French and the English language. An appointed person who is not francophone, should be capable of teaching in the French language within a period of at most two years, starting at September 1, 2018.
Candidate letters, written in the French language, with a summary of titles, should be sent, by registered letter with request for acknowledgement of receipt, to:
Monsieur le Recteur de l’Université de Mons,
Place du Parc, 20,
within 30 days of the official publication of this position in the “Moniteur belge”. (See IMPORTANT NOTE below.)
Candidate applications should include the following documents: a motivation letter, curriculum vitae, a list of publications (which should be electronically accessible), a plan for research in Big Data Analytics (maximum five pages), a statement outlining the candidate’s view on teaching (maximum five pages), transcripts of diplomas, a copy of the five most important publications, the names and addresses of three international experts that can serve as references.
All additional information can be obtained from Prof. Christian Michaux, Dean of the Faculty of Sciences (doyen.fs(a)umons.ac.be), and from Prof. Véronique Bruyère, Head of the Department of Informatics (veronique.bruyere(a)umons.ac.be).
IMPORTANT NOTE: According to the Belgian law, the preceding announcement will be published, in French, in the “Moniteur Belge” (i.e., the Belgian Official Gazette) around mid-January 2018. Applications should be made within a period of 30 days following this official publication. The Department of Informatics will announce the exact date of the official publication in the Moniteur Belge at the following web page: http://informatique.umons.ac.be/job_offers